Privacy and Security Policy
Bamboo Realty Pty Ltd ABN 20 610 193 041 trading as Nesters Australia is committed to protecting the privacy of your personal information.
Nesters Australia is required to comply with the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) including the Australian Privacy Principles (APPs) in Australia and the Privacy Act 1993 in New Zealand.
Collection of your personal information
The Information We Collect About You
We collect information about you directly from you and from third parties such as RP data, as well as automatically through your use of our Site or Services. Generally, we collect the following information from or about you:
Registration Information. Certain areas and features of our Services require registration. To register you must provide your name and email, address and choose a password. We also may collect additional optional information from you, including your phone number, financial account details, passport details, driver’s license number, and other identity information, as well as pre-approval documentation; however, you are not required to provide us with this information. Unless it is a law requirement.
Property Information. Through the service you can submit property information, such as address, price, photos, and other listing details. We also may collect property details from third parties. We associate the property information we collect with your username.
Identity and Financial Documents. We may ask you to submit proof of your identity, mortgage preapproval and funding availability through the Services, and we may (or our service providers may) verify this information (e.g., by contacting the bank that issued your preapproval letter). You are not required to submit these documents to access the Services; however, certain Sellers may request this information as part of an offer you submit through the Services. We do not share this information with third parties except, as specifically explained below, in order to facilitate your offers, transactions and requests, with service providers who store or use this information on our behalf, to an acquiring company, or as required by law.
Site Activities. We may collect information about the properties you view and save, the appointments you schedule, messages you send, offers you place, counter or accept, property notes you make, requests you submit, comments you post, any reviews or ratings that you post, and your other activities through the Services.
The kinds of personal information we collect and hold about you, and our use of that information, is dependent on the products and services we provide to you.
How We Use Your Information
We use your information, including your personal information, for the following purposes:
- To facilitate real estate transactions, and to otherwise provide our Services.
- To communicate with you about your use of our Services (through email, text message and other methods), to respond to your inquiries, to fulfil your orders, and for other customer service purposes.
- To tailor the content and information that we may send or display to you, to offer location customization, and personalized help and instructions, and to otherwise personalize your experiences while using the Site or our Services. For example, we may send you information about a property you are interested in, and others that you may be interested in.
- For marketing and promotional purposes. For example, we may use your information, such as your email address, to send you news and newsletters, special offers, and promotions, or to otherwise contact you about products or information we think may interest you. We also may use the information that we learn about you to assist us in advertising our Services on third party websites.
- To better understand how users, access and use our Site and Services, both on an aggregated and individualized basis, in order to improve our Services and respond to user desires and preferences, and for other research and analytical purposes, such as analysing market trends, fair market values, reporting on comparable properties, and other purposes.
When collecting your personal information, we will take reasonable steps to provide you with certain information as required under the APPs, including the purpose of collection, who we may disclose your personal information to, any law that requires or authorises us to collect the information and the main consequences if we do not collect all of the personal information we require. If we collect your personal information from another source, we will take reasonable steps to ensure you are aware of the fact and the circumstances of that collection.
Generally, if we are unable to collect the personal information we require we may not be able to provide you with the products and services you seek. If the information provided is incorrect or incomplete, this may also prevent, limit or otherwise affect our ability to provide products or services to you.
We will only collect ‘sensitive information’ with your consent. We will assume that you have consented to us collecting all information which is provided to us by you for use in accordance with this policy, including any ‘sensitive information’, unless you tell us otherwise at the time you provide it to us.
Storage and security of your personal information
We may hold your personal information in electronic formats or in hard copy.
We take reasonable steps to securely store your personal information to ensure it is protected from unauthorised access, modification and disclosure, and from other types of misuse, interference and loss. This includes electronic and physical security measures and procedures, staff training and use of password protection software.
We will take reasonable steps to destroy or permanently de-identify your personal information when we no longer require it for any purpose for which it was collected. We may retain your personal information for as long as necessary to comply with any applicable law, for legal, insurance and corporate governance purposes, for the prevention of fraud and to resolve disputes. Your personal information may also be retained in our IT system back-up records.
The transfer of data over the Internet is inherently insecure. We cannot guarantee the security, during transmission, of any personal information provided to us via our websites. Please bear this in mind when transmitting information by this means to us.
The Privacy Amendment (Notifiable Data Breaches) Act 2017 established the Notifiable Data Breaches Scheme (NDB scheme) in Australia (to be Part IIIC of the Privacy Act 1988 on commencement). The NDB scheme sets out obligations for notifying affected individuals, and the Australian Information Commissioner (Commissioner), about a data breach which is likely to result in serious harm.
Where serious harm to affected individuals is likely, we will notify those individuals and the Commissioner in accordance with our legal obligations. You may contact our Privacy Officer via the contact details below should you require additional information.
Access and correction of your personal information
You may lodge a request to correct personal information that we hold about you if you believe it is inaccurate, incomplete, out-of-date, irrelevant or misleading by contacting our Privacy Officer via the contact details shown below.
You may request that we provide you with access to the personal information we hold about you. Generally, we will provide you with access, except in limited circumstances where the APPs permit us to deny access. Any such requests must be made in writing and directed to our Privacy Officer via the details shown below. Under the APPs we are permitted to charge you a reasonable fee for providing access to your personal information. Please note that no fee will be incurred for requesting access, and if your request for access is accepted we will inform you of the fee (if any) that will be payable for providing access if you proceed with your request.
You may ask us to inform you of the source of any personal information about you that we have collected from a third party. We will provide this at no cost, except in limited circumstances where the APPs or other laws permit us to withhold this information.
Making a complaint
You may lodge a complaint with us if you believe we have handled your personal information other than in accordance with the APPs. To do so please contact our Privacy Officer via the contact details below. We will confirm receipt of your complaint and set out the time frame we require to investigate your complaint and provide you with a response. We will endeavour to respond as quickly as possible, which will typically be within 14 days of receiving your complaint.
Overseas disclosure of your personal information
Generally, we will not disclose your personal information to overseas recipients, except upon your request, or if we are authorised or required to do so by law. Generally, such disclosures will be to members of our international corporate group.
If you consent to the disclosure of your personal information to an overseas entity you understand and agree that:
- (a) the overseas recipient is unlikely to be required to comply with the Privacy Actand APPs;
- (b) the overseas recipient may not be subject to privacy laws that are similar to the Privacy Actor APPs (and may even be compelled to make certain disclosures of your personal information under the privacy regime applicable to them, for example disclosure to the overseas government authorities);
- (c) Nesters Australia may not take steps to ensure that the overseas recipient handles your personal information in accordance with the Privacy Actand APPs;
- (d) the overseas recipient may handle your personal information other than in accordance with the Privacy Actor APPs, in which case you will not be able to seek redress for such acts or practices under the Privacy Act; and
- (e) Nesters Australia will not be responsible for, or otherwise liable for the way in which the overseas recipient handles your personal information.
If you would like further information about the way we manage your personal information, or if you have a privacy-related complaint, please contact our Privacy Officer by telephone on +61 08 9200 5860, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Office of the Australian Information Commissioner
More information about your rights and our obligations in connection with your personal information are available from the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner at www.oaic.gov.au.